background

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mexican Fiesta

First I want to say thanks to everyone for coming to see me while I was in Utah. It was a fun time and I'm glad y'all seemed to like the food. It is pretty standard fare at our house.

Some asked how I made some of the stuff, so if anyone is actually reading this any more, here goes.

Queso Fundido (from Rick Bayless book but modified to be less spicy for my kids/wife)
2     bell peppers (original used 2 poblano, roasted/peeled/seeded)
2     med yellow onions (vidalia make it especially sweet and a nice change once in a while)
1lb   sausage (this is where the spice comes in so whatever type you like, I ususally use the Jimmy Dean medium)
1lb   monterrey jack cheese

Brown the sausage.
Cut up peppers and onions however you like them, I usually like them sliced thin. Saute in 2T of olive oil over med-high until soft (about 5min or so). To make it faster, I usually add the peppers/onions to the browning sausage and cook them all together (skip the olive oil if you do this).

When everything is cooked, place in a 9x13ish dish, cover with grated MJ cheese, cook on 350 for 15min or until it is all melted. Remove from oven, mix everything together and server on tortillas immediately (we had flour, but homemade corn tortillas or from a tortillaria are fantastic too).

There are lots of variations that can be made. Add tomatoes at the end, use mushrooms with the peppers/onions. Let you imagination go wild! Also you can have more/less peppers/onions depending on your preference.


Muchaca Burritos (got this in college, all measurements are approximate and not exact)
1        pot roast
2        bell peppers
2        med yellow onions (or vidalia)
2        eggs
1c      sour cream
1/2lb  shredded cheddar
3-4     roma tomatoes (or whatever kind you have around)

Cook pot roast in crock pot for 6-8 hours until it falls apart nicely, shred.
Cut peppers and onions into thin slices, saute with olive oil until tender, add shredded beef.
Mix completely and come together for a couple of minutes. If it seems really dry, add some broth from the crock pot to moisten it up.
Whip eggs and add to mixture and stir in so egg helps bring everything together and doesn't become bits of scrambled egg.
Add sour cream and cheese, mix in.
When cheese is melted and everywhere, add diced tomatoes. Let simmer for 5min or so and serve with tortillas.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

marilyn said...

Thanks for the recipes. The dinner was great!